Earth Day is annually celebrated on April 22nd, with the aim of raising awareness about environmental issues and driving action for environmental protection. Started in 1970 in the U.S., it is now a global movement. It covers a broad range if topics and issues including climate changes and pollution, recycling, various environment movements and awareness programs, conserving natural resources, protecting endangered species, and moving towards a sustainable future. Earth Day is now widely recognized as the largest secular observance in the world, observed by more than a billion people each year.
Every earth day is marked with a specific theme each year. Here are some of the past years’ themes.
- 2019 – “Protect Our Species” 與野共生 yu5 je5 gung6 saang1
- 2020 – “Climate Action” 氣候行動 hei3 hau6 hang4 dung6
- 2021 – “Restore Our Earth” 修復我們的地球 sau1 fuk6 ngo5 mun4 dik1 dei6 kau4
- 2022 – “Invest In Our Planet” 投資我們的星球 tau4 zi1 ngo5 mun4 dik1 sing1 kau4
With all that is happening in the world, I encourage everyone to learn more about environmental issues, and remember that we can make a difference by what we do.
Here are some Cantonese and Traditional Chinese resources:
I compiled a 7 pager of Earth Day and environment related phrases in Cantonese with English translation. The free printable can be downloaded here.
Located on this blogpost – Earth Day Cantonese Videos 世界地球日粵語短片
Picture eBooks about Sustainability
Here are three books by the Environmental Campaign Committee (Hong Kong) available for download here :
The books are in PDF format
- 《企鵝神探破大案》 enhance the awareness of the ′′ waste reduction ′′ of pre-school children
- 《出發吧！箭豬波波》– introducing 10 species of Hong Kong wildlife
- 《大嘥鬼變乖了》– inspires children not to waste
Picture eBooks about Nature and Conservation
The Conservation Series保育系列 consists of 4 bilingual eBooks featuring “Whiskers & Friends” 《威威與好友》。 These are produced by Ocean Park, Ocean Park Conservation Foundation (OPCFHK) and Modern Education Research Society, with the aim of training the next generation of conservation advocates. The Kindergarten Educational Kit that includes teaching plans, worksheets and games.
- Deep Sea Adventure 深海歷險記
- Polar Sports Challenge 冰極運動會
- Where Has the Water Gone? 消失的水源
- Journey to the Jungle of Giants 巨人森林之旅
They have also produced an ebook as part of their 5 Senses Discovery Series 五感發現系列– “Redd and the Nature Guardians” 《小紅熊和自然守護隊》about using your five senses and to explore the wonders of nature! This is part of an education kit that also includes video, teaching guides and a worksheet.
POWER YOU Storybooks about electricity and energy conservation
These 5 picture books, published by CLP (a power utility) are available in Chinese. Each book is 20 pages and can be downloaded as a PDF
- Electricity And Me 電力與我: Storybook
- The Power Journey 電力旅程 : Storybook
- Resources Conservation 珍惜資源 : Storybook
- Importance of Electricity 重要的電力 Storybook
- Low-carbon Living 減碳生活 Storybook
Climate Change eBooks from Hong Kong Observatory
The Climate Has Changed, What Should We Do? English| 氣候變了怎麼辦？Chinese
Geography E-learning Package about Climate Change (English)| 地理電子學習教材套：氣候變化 (Chinese)
Friends of the Earth
They have two publications available for free download (probably suited for older kids). Please note the date of publication, that these books are slightly dated (but still very informative).
- 綠遊首爾 – Green travel in Seoul
- 台灣有金執 – Learn about Taiwan’s waste sorting
There are lots more eBooks, factsheets and other publications available – please scroll down to the bottom for Useful Links.
Games, Worksheets and Craft Activities
Earth Day Bingo by Sweet Note Learning
2. Vocabulary Cards by Michigan Cantonese Storytime
3. Sorting activity by Bai Bai
Download link is within the Facebook post. (Please note this activity is based on the Taiwanese waste sorting system).
4. CHALK Academy Earth Day Activities
Free printable download within the blogpost.
Other Useful Links:
Below are many links to lots of useful information. Given the topic, most of the links are are from government and not-for profit websites. There are lots of information, and factsheets, education resources etc. It was fascinating to discover so much about the waste issues, conservation as well as the extensiveness of Hong Kong’s nature and diversity, as well as the wealth of resources available, especially pertaining to Hong Kong’s natural habitat and the flora and fauna.
Tip: Most resources are available in both Traditional Chinese and English. On most of these websites, you can toggle netween Traditional Chinese ( 繁 ／ 中） and English （英）. Sometoimes to download an English resources, you need to be on the English page version, and to download the Chinese resources, you need to be on the Chinese page version.
- Low Carbon Living Tips 低碳生活小貼士
- Low Carbon Living Calculator 低碳生活計算機
- Hong Kong’s Climate Action Plan 2050
- Energy Saving Tips for Home Booklet (English) | 節能小貼士 – 家居 (繁）
- Energy Saving Tips
Ocean Park Conservation Foundation (OPCFHK) Teaching Resources
CLP Power 中華電力 – Education and development including
- POWER YOU Kindergarten Education Kit | 《看到的電力》幼稚園教材套 – A comprehensive education kit for kindergarten students to explore the world of electricity, power journey and energy saving.
- Green Elites Portal | 綠戰士環保教育網站 – Learn green habits in a fun way through games and interactive content on the Portal.
- Power Kid Channel | 中中學堂 – Learn about electricity and green living
LS-energy HK 能源通識站－ Liberal Studies ‘Energy Technology & Environment Portal’ is Hong Kong’s first and most comprehensive Liberal Studies e-learning platform for the “Energy Technology and the Environment” module in the senior secondary Liberal Studies programme. This free platform is a tool to facilitate both teachers and students on their teaching and learning process.
Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD) 機電工程署 －Public Education
Towngas – info on climate change, green living, Low Carbon Cooking
- Educational resources 教與學資源 categorized into the following themes: Oceans 海洋, Wetlands 濕地, Wildlife 野生生物, Biodiversitty 生物多樣性 and Green Cities 綠色城市
- Publications 刊物
Hong Kong Observatory Educational Resources – educational videos
- Educational Programmes worksheets (free downloads)
- Education Kit for Secondary Schools (free download)
- Kindergarten Education Scheme Countryside Adventure 郊野遊蹤 – worksheets ( free download)
- Teaching Resources – guidebooks, learning kits, activities etc (free download)
- “Our Wetland Journey” Photo Essay Book (free download)
- Newsletters, Pamphlets and posters in the Download area.
Hong Kong Biodiversity Information Hub (HKBIH) 香港生物多樣性資訊站 – one-stop shop for information on biodiversity of Hong Kong. Lots of information about habitats, different species etc. Of note are the following
- Learning Resources including Little Geoparker 地質公園小豆丁 – multimedia platform with videos and worksheets to learn about Hong Kong Geopark’s geological, ecological and cultural features
- Hong Kong Plant Database － records more than 3,300 plants of Hong Kong
Hong Kong Fish Net 香港漁網 – shows local capture fisheries and the rich fisheries resources in Hong Kong waters. includes Hong Kong Marine Fauna Database
The Hong Kong Bird Watching Society – resources include how to begin birding, list of Hong Kong birds, and Bird Reports
綠色力量Green Power – Doctor Nature Animation
You might also enjoy reading:
- Earth Day Cantonese Videos 世界地球日粵語短片
- The Ultimate Guide to Cantonese Nursery Rhymes 粵語兒歌 on YouTube
- Diversifying Your Children’s Bookshelf – Multicultural Books and Beyond
- Free Leveled Readers with Colloquial and Formal Cantonese Audio
- Swadesh lists and Other Colloquial Cantonese Wordlists
- Where to find free eBooks and e-Magazines in Traditional Chinese for Kids
- Our collection of Cantonese nursery Rhyme and Songs (Each come with a free lyrics printable. )
- Free Online Chinese Textbooks and Course Materials
- Colloquial Cantonese Kid’s Educational Resources and Printables
- Cantonese Storytime and Book Reading on YouTube
- How To Read To Your Child When Your Cantonese Is Not Fluent