If you are thinking of weekend Cantonese school, but cannot get to one, 輕輕鬆鬆廣東話 Hing Hing Sone Sone Cantonese Learning Programme is the online version, where you do not even need to leave the home. This entire curriculum of Cantonese learning resources for children – including 30 episodes- have been generously shared for free by a not-for-profit Cantonese school in New Zealand.
Their goal, as stated on their website, is to
- Strengthen the language foundation of those children who use Cantonese as their home language
- Provide support & guidance to families which home language is Cantonese
- Provide an opportunity for non-Cantonese speakers to learn about the language and culture
- Learn Chinese culture through rhymes, dance, crafts and stories
- Introduce the structure and origin of Traditional Chinese characters
To this end, they share resources for kids to learn both the spoken Colloquial Cantonese as well as the Written formal form. Ideal if you wish to learn the formal form alongside with your kids.
There are thirty episodes, each including “I Can Write + I Can Read with Cantonese” videos teaching characters, stroke order, and pronunciation. Each episode is accompanied by flashcards and writing worksheets available for download in PDF formats.
Other Educational Resources on the Website
There is a whole assortment of educational resources on the 輕輕鬆鬆廣東話Hing Hing Sone Sone Cantonese website including:
- “I Can Speak Cantonese” videos teaching short phrases
- “Literature for kids” (with videos) which includes rhymes and songs, online video books
- Other educational resources including games and worksheets
You can also subscribe to their YouTube channel which has so many videos that it is best to sort by playlist.
The Facebook page is also regularly updated with fun activities.
This is a resource that I wholeheartedly recommend if you are not fluent in Cantonese! And immensely grateful for the time they have invested to create and share learning and teaching Cantonese resources to everyone.