As Mother’s Day approaches, one song that you often hear in playing in the mall and on the radio in Hong Kong is Really Love You 《真的愛你》by Beyond. This is a song that has endured through decades, and never gets old. In fact it has been playing for over 30 years! This song was released as part of the album Beyond IV in 1989.
This is a song about mother’s love. Read the lyrics, and you can see within it the story of Wong Ka Kui 黃家駒, the lead singer, as he sings about how his mum didn’t approve of the music scene (his parents wanted him to have a stable career), but was always supportive. He sings about her selfless love and his gratitude.
The MTV of the Song
Song Lyrics with Translation
Concert performance of the song
You Might Also Enjoy Reading:
- Mother’s Day Cantonese Resources 母親節粵語教材
- Written Cantonese – For or Against?
- What You Need To Know About Cantonese: the Vernacular and the Formal
- Why it is hard for many ABCs to pass on Cantonese?
- Free Online Resources for Learning Cantonese
- Online Cantonese Dictionaries
- Vocabulary lists of Colloquial Cantonese
- Cantonese Dictionary and Translator Mobile Apps