Lantern Festival or 元宵節 (jyun4 siu1 zit3) falls on the 15th Day of the 1st Month of the Lunar Calendar, and marks the last day of the traditional Chinese New Year celebrations.
Here are some Cantonese resources to help you and your family celebrate:
Cantonese Mommy reads the Story of Lantern Festival and explains the origins of our customs – eating Sweet Glutinous Rice Dumplings 湯圓 and going to see the Lantern Displays 綵燈展
Learn more about the Legend of Lantern Festival with this cute animation by Kids Land天地兒童.
3. Video about Lantern Festival in Hong Kong
Make a lantern with Joy中文學校. Includes riddles for guessing. Free download link within Facebook post.
Make some lanterns with templates by Hing Hing Sone Sone. Includes video instructions.
Please feel free to download the Printable of Lantern Festival Vocabulary in Cantonese. It consist of 2 pages of the vocabulary and is complete with Jyutping and English translations.
6. Practice writing the Chinese characters – 元宵節
Booklet includes the story, some vocabulary and some fun Lantern Riddles for you to guess (猜燈謎). The video below shows the contents. PDF download link within the Facebook post. (You will need to know some basic Chinese characters to figure out the answers. )
9. Mini-booklet by Michigan Cantonese Storytime
10. Additional Resources:
Videos about Glutinous Rice Ball 湯圓 and Lantern Displays 綵燈展 in Hong Kong
Articles about Lantern Festival in Hong Kong
- Lantern Festival in Hong Kong by Cantonese101
- Spring Lantern Festival In Hong Kong 2020: All About Love, Lights And Legacy
- How To Celebrate The 2020 Chinese Valentine’s Day In Hong Kong
- Spring Lantern Festival by Discover Hong Kong (English) and (Traditional Chinese )
11. Bonus Resource for the fluent in Cantonese: Solve these lantern riddles
Other Chinese New Year resources :
- Chinese New Year Cantonese Teaching Activities and Resources 農曆新年粵語教材
- Chinese New Year Cantonese Vocabulary, Greetings and Banners 揮春
- Christian Chinese New Year Banners 基督春聯
- Year of the Ox Cantonese Resources 牛年粵語教材
- God of Wealth is Arriving Cantonese Song Lyrics 財神到粵語歌詞
You might also enjoy reading:
- Why it is hard for many ABCs to pass on Cantonese?
- Cantonese Music for Kids including lyric printables
- Cantonese Cartoons on YouTube