Christmas – a time for celebration and festivity, joy and hope peace and goodwill – some say it is the most wonderful time of the year.
I’ve gathered various Christmas themed Cantonese teaching activities and other resources, some from around the web, and some specially developed, for your family to enjoy this festive season.
1. Christmas Stories
Check out over 20 books read in Cantonese on this Cantonese Christmas book reading playlist on YouTube.
YouTube playlist includes Peppa Pig, Hello Kitty, 櫻桃小丸子.
- YouTube playlist includes Nativity stories in Cantonese
2. Christmas Music
- Blogposts includes a various popular Christmas Carols in Cantonese, and links to YouTube playlists
- If you are looking for lyrics to singalong Cantonese Christmas Carols, you will find more than 10 popular Christmas Carols in Cantonese including fJingle Bells, Silent Night, Frosty the Snowman, Winter Wonderland. Free printable per song includes Jyutping
- A Hong Kong Christmas would not be complete without Cantopop Christmas songs. prepare for sadness, heartbreak, being left on the shelf, loneliness, doomed romances. Lots of popular Hong Kong songs by various artiste including Jacky Cheung, Eason Chan, McDull…….
3. Christmas Vocabulary
Christmas Vocabulary compilation (free printables)
- Three pages of Christmas Vocabulary in Cantonese that covers the a wide range of Christmas phrases, from the usual phrases such as Christmas Tree and reindeers to those in popular culture such as The Grinch.
- Two pages of Christmas Vocabulary in Cantonese- Christian (Free printable) that cover Christian activities and nativity story
Phrases are in Colloquial Cantonese.
This pretty poster was created by CantonSponge, one of my favourite blogs for teaching Cantonese. She has lots of other teaching resources that she generously shares.
This is in Standard Chinese and works for both Cantonese and Mandarin. Comes with (Mandarin) pinyin.
This is in Standard Chinese and works for both Cantonese and Mandarin. Comes with (Mandarin) pinyin. There’s simplified and Traditional. You have to provide your name and email address for the cards to be emailed to you. Do note if you are printing, these are very ink intensive, with the red background.
4. Worksheets, crafts, games and other resources
Here’s some that I developed for my kid including a nativity colouring scene, Christmas ornaments with vocabulary, Jesse calendar, and Christmas countdown.
Michigan Cantonese Storytime
- Printable Christmas little booklets
- Cantonese Practice Writing Sheets
25 worksheets with Christmas vocabulary. It comes with Jyutping and cute graphics. You can also crop them to make flashcards
- Christmas Bingo cards
Little Canto Learning
- Christmas DIY game
- Colouring sheet
- Christmas worksheets including colouring, spot the difference and dot to dot
- Includes video instructions (in Cantonese), and templates to make Christmas ornaments, cards, mini Christmas trees and Christmas wreathes.
- These are crafts that help boost exposure to Chinese (not Cantonese specific) with many free printables available in standard Chinese.
- Chinese Christmas and Winter Coloring Pages (Simplified and Traditional Chinese)
A new activity is announced everyday, with a video on YouTube and a free printable (link in description of their daily YouTube video).
More Christmas related craft, activities, cooking Cantonese videos found on this YouTube playlist.
5. Christmas in Hong Kong
Every country celebrates Christmas differently, and Hong Kong is no exception. Here are some articles about Christmas in Hong Kong (external links):
- How do Hong Kong People Celebrate Christmas? (Video)
- 5 Things to Do During Christmas in Hong Kong
- Christmas in Hong Kong
- Ultimate guide to a perfect Christmas in Hong Kong
(Please note in 2020, with COVID, a Hong Kong Christmas celebration would be very different from the norm).
Please also check out our other Christmas posts:
- Cantonese Christmas Songs 粵語聖誕歌 on YouTube
- Cantonese Christmas Carols Lyrics compilation
- Christmas – Cantonese Teaching Activities & Resources 粵語聖誕教材
- Christmas Ornament Printable with Cantonese and Chinese vocabulary
- Christmas Countdown Calendar Printable 聖誕節倒數日曆
Christian Christmas Activities
- Christmas Christian Resources in Chinese for Kids
- Nativity 耶穌誕生 Colouring Sheet with Chinese vocabulary and Jyutping
- Christian Advent Calendars and Jesse Trees for Kids in Chinese
- Observing Advent – Our Bilingual Chinese-English Jesse Tree (耶西樹)
- Our Second Bilingual English-Chinese Jesse Tree and Advent Devotion
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! 祝大家聖誕快樂, 新年快樂!